Friday, January 16, 2009

Blogalists, Journologs and The Invention of Masal Bugduv

Lately, the racing community has been littered with blog posts and online articles regarding the status, reliability and future of race writing.

Teresa of Brooklyn Backstretch posted a great blog on the subject that received a huge response. Teresa also posted this piece on journalists at work which touched on the necessity of professional and responsible reporting.

There's been a huge number of responses on this subject from a variety of sources. My favourite of which is the response from Maryjean Wall which was posted here and includes links to Clare Novak's passionate Bloodhorse piece and the infamous ranting of Paul Moran.

I enjoyed the honesty of Wall's story and that someone with her impressive credentials recognizes the need for change and the absolute relevance of blogging in securing the future of the sport.

My own $0.02 on the subject (that's CDN, sorry for shortchanging you American readers) is that responsible reporting is based entirely on the individual regardless of credentials or involvement in the industry. With that, I bring you to the fascinating story of Masal Bugduv.

Masal Bugduv is meant to be a 16-year-old Moldovan footballing prodigy. He made the Times Online edition of Top 50 rising stars which is not that big a deal with the exception of the fact that Bugduv doesn't exist.

It seems Bugduv was invented as a prank by someone with a blogspot account named Masal Bugduv with one and only post regarding the pending transfer of Bugduv to Arsenal. The blogger claimed this breaking news was resported in Diario Mo Thon, a top Modovan sports page. As it turns out, Mo Thon is Irish for "my arse." The paper, fictional. This didn't stop the story from being told all over the world in a variety of reliable publications.

You can read the full details of this brilliant reporting here and here.

What does it all mean? Maybe something, maybe nothing. Is this irresponsible blogging? Is it lazy reporting? Both?

All I know is that pretty much all journalists are online working and writing and that a new level of research is required to verify a story.

So, that brings me to my last suggestion which relates to terminology for online race reporting. No one I speak to likes the word blogger. However, all the big name journalists now have online postings. Essentially, blogs - but with fancier titles and layouts. My proposal?

Blogalist - A blogger who posts responsibly researched stories.
Journolog - A "properly" credentialed writer who now happens to write online.

Perhaps a label is totally unnecessary.

* * *

In other news, recently I wrote about Boule D'or, a G2 winner last year now competing in claimers at Santa Anita. Boule D'or is entered again in Sunday's 5th race going a mile on the near dirt with a tag of $12.5K. Boule D'or worked 5F on January 11 in 1:00.2. Once again, I will wager accordingly and see if I can send some more cash to the Long Run

And finally, a rally was held at Fort Erie yesterday attended by some 100 members of the community who have been asked once again to wait and hope for a bail out to save the historic racetrack. MPP Kim Craitor had hoped to provide an answer to the community by a self-imposed January 15th deadline but unfortunately could offer no new information. As reported by Ray Spiteri in the Niagara Falls Review and linked above:

"When I talked to Queen's Park today ... I said just tell me if it's no, and I will go out there and I will be the one that will say it's no. I will say it and I'll stand there," Craitor told The Niagara Falls Review after the rally.
"And the answer was, 'Kim, it is not no. We are still trying to figure out how we go about this and maintain it within the guidelines for government expenditures.' So, to me, the door is still open. But for the people here, they wanted an answer today."


I truly hope a deal can be worked out to save racing at Fort Erie. A beautiful racetrack and one where a lot of people and horses make their living.

7 comments:

Superfecta said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Superfecta said...

As a soccer fan, I found the whole Masal Bugduv thing hilarious.

Anonymous said...

It's quite the coup to pull off such a prank in this well-informed age...no doubt, Man City will still try and sign Bugduv!

Fran Jurga said...

Oh, Keith, now I have an identity crisis, thanks to you! How do I know if I am a blogalist or a journologger?
Would I know or would someone tell me?

On a more serious note, your post brings up real issues. I have other bloggers blog what I blog. How do they know that I checked it out? (I generally do check facts.)

And why, when I call to check facts, do so many sources say things like, "No one ever called me to check on things like this before. Just read what's online."

Maybe we should invent a Derby contender and hype it up. Name it Budguv and see if any one catches on.

Anonymous said...

Hi Fran, thanks for visiting!

I think the label is totally unnecessary and we should all just invent whatever title we like.

Fact checking is definitely an issue as so many people rely on wikipedia and other people's work. Some take the lazy way out - and it's something that both bloggers and journalists have been caught doing.

If you are going to invent a derby horse, you may want to aim for 2010 and start hyping up some fictional Argentinian two year-old now. Give the rumour time to fester!

I'm looking forward to seeing if a real Derby contender, Square Eddie, can hit the mark today.

Go Canada!

Anonymous said...

came across this story from mich:
http://www.michiganfarmbureau.com/farmnews/transform.php?xml=20090115/cover.xml
some key material!
keep up the great "journal"! ;)

Anonymous said...

Please be a part of my beautiful world and share my romance here: ***RiderMate.com***
It is a place where thousands of active and unrestrained horse people meet, date, become friends and more in the pursuit of the same dream as you have.