Sunday, May 31, 2009

Path To The Queen's Plate: The Two Turn Test

What follows is the fifth installment of my ongoing diary detailing the preparation and hard work that goes into training a contender for the Queen's Plate. While many racing fans only see the two minutes of action that occurs on the track, trainer Ian Black has graciously provided Triple Dead Heat with access to his barn as he conditions Southdale for North America's oldest thoroughbred graded stakes race. Over the coming weeks I will introduce you to the people behind the scenes, provide footage from workouts, and inside access to race day events. I'm thankful to Ian Black and his team for this opportunity and hope the resulting diary will be as much fun to read as it has been for me to experience.

May 9, 2009 Diary Entry An Introduction including a Cast of Characters.
May 13, 2009 Diary Entry A Workout Day For Southdale.
May 25, 2009 Diary Entry Team Southdale Rallies Around Rahy's Attorney
May 26, 2009 Diary Entry Getting Equipped For The Plate Trial

While watching Saturday's Sun TV coverage of Woodbine racing, Southdale was referred to as being a "hyped" horse during Jeff Bratt and Jim Bannon's onscreen banter. Jennifer Morrison's Thoroughblog preview of the Plate Trial stated, "The morning line favourite will be EL BRUJO but the hype that maiden winner SOUTHDALE is getting (89 Beyer from his maiden win) could mean he will be the fave." HorseRaceInsider touts Southdale as a Plate contender, but makes the assessment that the colt is, "highly-regarded but lightly-raced...".

It made me wonder if my online diary had anything to with the so-called hype. While I realize my blog has limited readership, I've been surprised in my travels to Woodbine and on the backstretch at how many people have been following along with Southdale's story. Whether it's a kind comment from track announcer Dan Loiselle or an encouraging word from Emma-Jayne Wilson, it's good to know that people are paying attention. So, perhaps if I am drawing some attention to Southdale with this website, it might be appropriate for me to explain my intentions.

When I approached trainer Ian Black about writing this online diary, I was quick to point out to Black that my goal was to follow the process and procedure of how a horse is prepared for the Queen's Plate. I was hoping for a window behind the scenes of the game. Granted, I did want to follow a horse that I felt a connection with and one that had legitimate contender status - but the process was definitely not one that I wanted to have anything to do with hype. Win or lose, I'm happy with the result of the work I've put into the diary thus far and have learned a lot about the game, not only from Black but also from the rest of his team including Skip Bowen (Ast. Trainer), Aline Allain (Groom), Tyler Gaskin (Exercise Rider), Emma-Jayne Wilson and others.

Amy, of Smitten Kitten fame, believe's the hype surrounding Southdale.


It's strange for me to see the term "hype" associated with anything related to Ian Black as he is a quiet man, happy to leave the accolades to the horse and those around him. It's rare that you will see Black in a post-race interview. Mr. Black seems much more content to hide beneath cap and shades and observe the goings on around him than to talk up his horses. As well, Southdale's owners Rod and Margaret Ferguson are polite, down-to-earth, people that simply happen to have themselves a very serious horse. I suspect that should Southdale win, or perform well enough in, today's Plate Trial to be considered a Queen's Plate favourite that you will not be reading any over-the-top comments from those within the colt's inner circle.

With these thoughts in mind I ventured out to Woodbine this morning to visit Southdale and check up on his status going into today's big race. It is sunny and very windy on the backstretch today with the wind currently blowing hard into the faces of horses racing towards the wire. I approached Mr. Black and asked him for his thoughts on the "hype" surrounding Southdale. "I don't know who's hyping him," said Black. "I read it too, but it's certainly not us." With regard to Southdale's chances in today's Plate Trial as the second choice behind El Brujo, Black stated, "I thought he would be second or third choice to be honest with you as he did run very impressively going around one turn. He still has to prove that he can run two turns. " However, after that acknowledgement Black smiled and said, "I think he's in very good order. He should run a big race and I don't see any reason why he wouldn't."

I spoke with Aline, Southie's groom, who confirmed that the horse is sharp after stretching out for a mile run earlier this morning. There is definitely a lot of energy in the barn this morning and grooms and hot walkers making their rounds called out to the big colt on their way by. It's great to see how positive the vibe is within the barn. After putting up an 89 speed figure in his last outing, everyone is hoping that Southie just might hit triple digits with his next pitch.

Marlow, Mills and Reggae will be cheering for Southdale this afternoon!



I also had the opportunity to speak about "the hype" with assistant trainer Jeff Bowen who said, "A lot of people really like him. The upside on him is so big looking at how he improves from race to race and I think everyone is hoping and praying that he is the horse that we think he is." Bowen clearly respects the stat lines of the morning line favourite confirming, "El Brujo has been very consistent, he's going to give you what he's got and he probably will run even better today."

As for the knock that Southdale only has two races under his belt, Bowen responded, "It hurts us a little bit but you have to remember that our goal is not to win the Plate Trial, our goal is to win the Queen's Plate. So, we're going to go into the Queen's Plate with three races under our belt, not two. The Plate has been won by maidens before and we're not a maiden. Hopefully we go in there on a two race win streak."

It's safe to say that the Ian Black barn is going about their business with their usual hard working acumen. There is no hype machine. No flurry of faxes or gigabytes of press are being disseminated to the local media. Today, like any other day, is all about the horse.

2 comments:

Jen Morrison said...

Hi Keith

Just thought I would fill you in a little on what we mean by hype-horse - Southdale was working like a serious horse last year as a 2yo , he was a buzz horse last year.
in fact, I only made him 40 to 1 in the QP winterbook in February which drew a lot of questions from people, and I told them that there was a lot of talk of this horse from people who had seen him work, etc.
If he had been an unraced horse in february without that buzz, he would have been 100 to 1 like the rest of the firsters that were Plate eligible at the time.
I am sure Mr. Bannon would agree as well that this excitement over this horse started a year ago when he began training....
Jen M

Jen Morrison said...

BTW...he's out of the Plate, in case you didn't know...
the hype was too much for him (and the diary too maybe! LOL)