Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Observations, Congratulations and a Queen's Plate Auction for Charity!

I knew things were going to be a bit different on Sunday at Woodbine when I hit traffic while exiting the 427 North. The track was filled to capacity, not only in the grandstand but also on the paddock side of the track. Friends of mine, who are track regulars, spent their entire day in the paddock enjoying watching the horses walk out and get saddled up before the race. One friend even made a little money in the eleventh and final race of the day by simply observing a horse named Lady Elena sparkle in the paddock.

Which of these railbirds knew that Musketier would win the Singspiel before looking at the sheets?


I am fascinated by those who can pick a winner based solely on appearance - this particular friend has said to me that given the choice between handicapping from only ONE of either the Form or observing pre-race appearance that he would take the latter hands down. In this particular instance on Sunday, my friend selected a horse that had not raced in a year and keyed it on top of a superfecta. Impressive, considering the horse went to post at nearly 9-1. By wheeling Lady Elena over three likely choices in the field, my friend walked out of Woodbine with close to $3000.

Could you have picked this Plate winner without using the Daily Racing Form?


The keys to the selection were visual observations such as an alert, "dancing" horse, dappled and focused. Upon study of the Form, there was a notation that Lady Elena had moved to high-percentage trainer Brian Lynch's barn from that of a trainer yet to record a win this year. The final interesting note was the late drop in odds from over 15-1 down to well under 10-1 near post time. Simply by hanging out in the paddock, understanding how to observe a ready horse and noting a few interesting tidbits of noteworthy Form info, my friend confidently keyed a horse and walked out a big winner.

Suffice it to say, it is exactly this type of observational technique I want to learn more about. I played a small Pick 6 wager on this day and used the second and third place finishers of this race on my ticket, but could not have selected Lady Elena based on Form alone had I studied for weeks.

A SUPER superfecta - $2,255.05 for your dollar


I share this story not to brag about a friend's winnings or to be envious of the technique of a far more advanced handicapper. I share this little anecdote as a reminder of a time when punters stood along the rail and observed. That there was a time when handicappers needed to be AT the track to make a wager because to bet on an unobserved horse was a foolish venture.

Every seat at Woodbine was filled - to the very far corner of the uppermost deck


Though I admit to watching horse racing on television or via the Internet, watching racing live at the track is always my first choice. I've made friends at Woodbine that I hope to have for the rest of my life and though I could have simply watched and wagered on the races from home, there's not a single person in the world that would want to hear me re-tell that lazy anecdote. I hope that many of the thousands of first-time visitors to Woodbine this weekend enjoyed their day out in the sun, cheering for their horse and appreciated the work of the Woodbine jockey colony.

The exciting 2009 Queen's Plate - Eye of the Leopard


If you have an observational handicapping technique you would like to share, please leave a comment. Future blog posts will deal with what to look for in the paddock when wagering on a horse.

* * *

LongRun Thoroughbred Retirement Society is holding its annual auction of autographed Queen's Plate saddle cloths.

Visit eBAY on Tuesday, June 23, and bid on the saddle cloths worn by all 13 competitors in the 150th renewal of the oldest continually run stakes race in North America, the $1,000,000 Queen’s Plate, to be run on Sunday, June 21, at Woodbine. This unique auction, initiated in 2008, was the brainchild of Woodbine’s own Jane Holmes and Steve Koch, and will raise funds to help ensure that the horses who run for our pleasure will enjoy a happy retirement once their racing days are over.

MANY THANKS TO WOODBINE ENTERTAINMENT FOR ITS SUPPORT!

OPENING BIDS

Winning Horse - $2,500.00
Second Place - $1,000.00
Third Place - $500.00
Unplaced - $250.00

AUCTION CLOSES JUNE 30, 2009


Please click on this link to view Eye of the Leopard's autographed saddle cloth.

* * *

The 2009 Queen's Plate Fantasy Challenge came to a close on Sunday when Eye of the Leopard won the Queen's Plate. My first foray into the "Pro Division" of the contest was a succesful one as I scored 842 points to finish in sixth position. (Actually, it's fifth position as the "Consensus Picks" finished in second place.) Not too shabby considering I excluded Eye of the Leopard at the beginning of this contest as he was an unraced, unknown commodity. Ignore Sam-son Farms breeding at your peril! I vow to improve on this result next year. Congratulations are in order to contest winner Daryl Wells of Fort Erie Racetrack who scored 1030 points.

* * *

Woodbine racing returns on Wednesday night. Post time is 6:45PM. hope to see you in the paddock!

1 comment:

QQ said...

Keith, Your friend is on to something there. Darn near every one of my biggest winners involved "a paddock pick". Unfortunately, I'm still learning how to turn my observations into consistent ticket-cashing. Looking forward to any tips your friend might be able to share!