Thursday, March 5, 2009

And you can quote me on that...

I've been fortunate to interview quite a few jockeys/drivers in the past year including Sandy Hawley, Richard Migliore, Patrick Husbands, Randy Waples, Jim McAleney and Rick Zeron to name just a few. I've come away from each experience thankful for their time knowing I'll be able to wrap a great story around their quotes.

However, I may start asking more direct questions in the future after reading this panel interview featuring top Irish jockey Ruby Walsh on the upcoming Cheltenham Festival. As the panel goes over their picks for the festival, Walsh sounds off with several of the most colourful retorts I've ever heard.

Here's a few samples:

Regarding the Champion Hurdle to be run March 10th
RW: The owner of Osana wants Andrew McNamara as he felt Tom Scudamore didn't go fast enough on him in last season's race but it rode very fast so, if that is the case, they are going to go like shit off a shovel this season and the ground will be watered so will be on the slow side. This could find Binocular out but he is the one to beat though I hope the fast pace will suit me (rides Celestial Halo). Crack Away Jack is a handicapper at best and Jered won't climb up the hill even if it was downhill

Regarding the Arkle Challenge to be run March 10th
RW: There is no future Champion Chaser amongst these. I have ridden and schooled Tatenen but was disappointed he got beat at Leopardstown. I thought he was a hell of a horse earlier in the season (the inference given was that he may not be now). I am not sure what Calgary Bay beat in Kicks For Free as he was well beaten at long odds-on last week, I'msingingtheblues' form is not working out, Kalahari King has been winning donkey derbys. Forpadydeplasterer won't win but can be placed and along with Golden Silver is too big a price and both are each-way horses.

Regarding the Gold Cup to be run on March 13th
RW: Kauto Star deserves favouritism but I admit he is a bit vulnerable though it is hard to find one to be beat him. I'd be amazed if Exotic Dancer beat us. Neptune Collonges was very good in the Hennessy but Exotic Dancer may have beaten me in the Lexus (Neptune fell 2 out when leading) but he always comes on for his first run. You have to question the race Madison Du Berlais won and I though Scu's antics were f*****g despicable and will be giving him the two fingers if we beat him.

With regard to the above quote, apparently jockey Tom Scudamore celebrated a little too heavily in the recent Levy Board Chase when his horse, Madison Du Berlais beat Walsh and last year's Gold Cup winner Denman. Just one more reason to watch this year's Gold Cup!

For those of you not as familiar with the hurdles, a good race preview of the Gold Cup can be found on Betfair's XY Factor blog. You can also click here to wager on and read about the latest Cheltenham Festival News, and let's not forget that the Aintree Grand National is mere weeks away.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

This was hilarious to read! He sounds like the Irish horse racing version of Boo Weekley on the PGA tour or John Daly...