Monday, November 24, 2008

Turf Sprint Explained - Interview With The Mig At The Big A!

If there was one race that perplexed handicappers at this year's Breeders' Cup, it was the sensational ride by Richard Migliore on 37-1 long shot Desert Code. Here was a horse that, on paper, needed the lead and would surely sprint himself out of contention against a high class field which included Fleeting Spirit, Diabolical and Get Funky.

True to form, the sprint featured furious fractions of 20.73 and 41.81, but curiously, as the horses hit the half, Desert Code was nowhere to be found. Nowhere, that is, until Migliore urged his colt past nine horses in the final furlong to take the prize, beating Diabolical by half a length. The sprinters ate up the course covering six and a half furlongs in a rapid 1:11.60.



So, what happened? Well, I got a chance to ask Migliore just that on a frigid Discovery Handicap day at The Big A.

TDH: How do these conditions compare to Breeders’ Cup?

RM: Well, it was a heckuva lot nicer on BC day in California, but this is home so we deal with what we get.

TDH: Are you going to ride Desert Code again?

RM: I was supposed to go out to California next weekend and ride him, but he’s got a little problem so he’s taking some time off. I’m sure I will have a few dates next year.

TDH: What was that race like for you? Were you shocked?

RM: You know, I wouldn’t say I was shocked, I was pleasantly surprised. I really thought the horse could get a piece of it. I couldn’t tell you I thought I would win, it’s such a difficult race down the hill that you really need to be lucky but my horse did really good on the day. I knew at the 3/8ths pole, the way I was traveling, I was going to get a good piece of it, and then we got the biggest piece of it!

TDH: I thought before the race you were on a surefire front runner and when you didn’t go straight to the lead it seemed there was no chance for you…

RM: I knew the pace was going to be extremely fast and I wanted to have position. I rode him out of the gate with the intention of being fourth or fifth and after the first hundred yards my horse was just telling me, “I’m not happy with this”, so I just adjusted with some of my horse. I put my hands down and he settled - I was worried about it, but at the 3/8ths pole he was traveling so well. I hadn’t yet asked him for anything and I thought, “ wow, this might work out!”

TDH: It sounds like hands off riding can out do strategy.

RM: I think, most of the time, if we don’t get stuck with an opinion about a horse and we allow the horse to tell us what they want, things work out better and thankfully for me it worked out on that day.

TDH: Is there a racing charity you would like me to mention?

RM: Equine Advocates - they take care of retired racehorses and all horses that need homes. They are located in upstate New York.

* * *
Well, there you have it. I studied the Form. I envisioned the race and the whole puzzle boiled down to an intelligent jockey listening to the needs of his horse. The payout? $75.00 to win and a $393.10 exactor.

* * *

While visiting Aqueduct, I was lucky to meet up with the sensational Ernie Munick as well as TBA member Teresa of Brooklyn Backstretch fame. Both Ernie and Teresa's blogs feature unique coverage of Discovery winner, Wishful Tomcat.

I will be posting more stories and photos from my trip to Aqueduct this week. For now, though, let's all take Richard Migliore's advice and give a little to Equine Advocates.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to meet you, Keith, and glad that you got a chance to talk to the Mig.

A couple of weeks ago he was interviewed on a local racing show, and I virtually transcribed what he said about the Santa Anita course and the BC race. Great stuff, as always from him.

Anonymous said...

" Ernie and Teresa's blogs feature unique coverage of Discovery winner, Wishful Tomcat."

I don't deserve the words unique coverage. My not covering Wishful Tomcat in the P4 cost me $25,000,

I had the other three races.

Great meeting you, look forward to further chillage,

Keith McCalmont said...

Teresa - Great to meet you as well...and thanks for the tip on talking to Richard. He really was quite insightful in such a short timeframe.

Oinie! I thought for sure you had the Tomcat! Absolute heartbreak.

Though I didn't lose out on $25K, I did Exactor myself out of a win bet that paid quite nicely. I KNEW that favourite wouldn't stand. Arghghghg.