Monday, May 17, 2010

Photo Essay: Shades of Grey

Though I'm out of the office and away from my computer and the action at Woodbine, I've been enjoying a constant stream of contact courtesy of the good folks at Equisport Photos. One of the races I missed out on while traveling was the Lady Legends race at Pimlico.

Honor In Peace, with Gwen J. Jocson up, wins the Legend's For The Cure race at Pimlico

Photo by Equisport Photos

Honor In Peace wins Lady Legends race as reported in the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Jocson rode Honor In Peace to victory Friday in the Lady Legends race, a six-furlong event at Pimlico in which all the riders were former female jockeys.

Jocson passed Mass Destruction with a furlong to go and won by 2 3/4 lengths over Chapel of Love, who was ridden by Andrea Seefeldt Knight. Rasher took third with Mary Russ Tortora aboard.

The focus of the reunion was breast cancer awareness. Mass Destruction, ridden by breast cancer survivor Mary Wiley Wagner, was fourth. Patti Cooksey, another breast cancer survivor, finished fifth on 2-1 favorite Cleric.

Jocson won 763 races from 1989-99. Because this $30,000 race officially counted in each jockey's career totals, she can formally amend that number when bragging to her friends.

"Well, I won my first race and I won my last race. If I hadn't won this race, I'd had to go back to riding, and get back even," Jocson said. "It felt great because it was for a cause. This was a once-in-a-lifetime thing, and I got to be a part of it."


Equisport also passed along some cool shots from the Preakness which I did see live via simulcast at Belmont.

Lookin At Lucky wins the Preakness

Photo by Equisport Photos

Lookin At Lucky digs in to win

Photo by Equisport Photos

While my own photos can't compare to the work of Matt and Wendy, I did have a fun morning out on the Woodbine backstretch before I left though the weather that day was decidedly grey.

Come on in and grey awhile


Curious grey and the man in the yellow jacket?



Just a grey blur...



Going grey...



Grey expectations



Destined for grey-t-ness



I see you!


You can't wash the grey off



Cloudy and grey



A winner!



"every day is cloudy and greyyyy..."


* * *

Many apologies for the lack of posts this past week. While I'm on a working vacation returning Friday, I will continue to update the site as best I can. Regular features such as Entries/Results and Woodbine News will be updated daily.

No comments: